Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Pancakes, Andy and Our First Package

It's Wednesday in Korea and we are in the middle of our second week at work. Each day it gets easier to learn about each student and where they are at with their english. It also gets easier to learn about their common behaviors...more on that in a paragraph or two.

One of the best parts of our week so far has been....pancakes. Yes pancakes. You see, the town we live in has no breakfast joints nearby. And Koreans eat things like rice, soup and kimchi for breakfast. If it's Sunday mornin and you've got a hankering for some french toast..maybe even biscuts and gravy, at home you just hop in your car and head to Bobby E's (Bob Evans) or the Hop (IHOP) or maybe even a little Coney breakfast. You get my drift. Here we do not have that luxury. So yes, I will pay wayyy more than necessary for a box of pancake mix and yes I will flip my pancakes with a spoon because all we own are chopsticks, 2 spoons and 2 forks, and yes I will not measure anything because we have no measuring tools. We were a bit reluctant to try Korean pancake mix, after all they usually eat rice for breakfast..but we did it anyway and to our surprise they were quite delicious. They did not taste the same as at home, a bit more cake-like and sweeter, but they sure did get the job done. So, I will continue to pay enormous amounts of money in order to have Sunday morning pancakes, unlesssss someone(s) needed an idea for a care package item :)

Now lets move onto Andy. Andy, Andy, Andy. We've all met our fare share of little shits. Yes, the little monsters that know all the right buttons to press and make you want to stomp around like a 3 year old because they frustrate you so. Center stage: Andy. Andy is a high class pain in the ass. He never pays attention, disrupts class, makes faces, noises, mocks me and simultaneously makes faces while mocking me. You know, when they move their mouths while you talk and have a scrunched up nose and are thinking "I am Lia Teacher and I'm talking about bullshit bullshit bullshit. Yep. Every single day. Oh, and Andy is 5 or 6 in American years. What a gem.

Isn't it funny that I moved to a country 6,500 miles from home, and even here I have an ANDY busting my chops. :)
Today was also a great part of our week, as we receive our first package from home!!!!! Nonna and Nonno shipped us a much needed Brita filter along with delicious home made Italian cookies. SCORE. We were sooo excited when we got it and it was just in time, as we have one water bottle left to our name. Thank you SO MUCH!!!

Here is our address:
Kids college
Attn: Lia/Brendan
1378-8, Jangsung-dong, Buk-gu, Pohang,
Kyung-buk, South Korea
zip code : 791-851
This ships to our school as we are not home during the day to receive packages. If we are not home to receive a package they do not leave it at our door, and then we have to travel 30 minutes to get our package. School it is.

Back of the pancake box.

Syrup. Pretty good actually.


Finished product.

Sally, my smallest most precious student.

Smile. He is in the same class as Sally and one of my youngest students. His hair has a perma.
ANDY. Little shit. In the process of sticking out his tongue for the picture.




1 comment:

  1. Lia my dear. Just imagine how far Andy has come since his first DAY at Kids College. Multiply his obnoxiousness by 100 and that's what I dealt with for almost a year. Girl...I know. Believe me...I know.

    ReplyDelete