Friday, January 14, 2011

Three Weeks

Not that we are living in a third world country or anything, but being in Korea theses past three weeks, and knowing we'll be here for another 11 months 1 week has really opened my eyes to the comforts and luxuries of home I took and most people take for granted. For instance, when I took a shower at home, I did not have to wear shower shoes and my entire bathroom did not get wet. When I had to go pee, or enter the bathroom for any reason I did not have to put on shower sandals and pull up my pajama pants so the bottoms did not get wet. I had an oven. After I washed my clothes I threw them into the dryer, I did not have to take out each item individually, hang them and wait days for them to dry. My clothes were also soft and nice when I put them on, not severely wrinkled and stiff. I had a car. I had my choice of anything I wanted to eat whenever I wanted it.  I knew how to order in a restaurant, what I'd be getting, and the server usually understood me. I could chose from tons of beers. I had a comfortable mattress. I had my mom and dad and family and dog nearby. I knew how to read the language of the country I lived in. I knew my address. I had more than three english channels on tv. I went and saw a movie as soon as it was released in theaters, not weeks later. The list goes on. Obviously I knew I'd be facing a lot of changes and challenges and I hope the above mentioned does not make me seem ungrateful, spoiled, or like I'm bitching. I'm not. It's just you don't every really think of all the little things that make life so cozy until they aren't around anymore. 

There are also a lot of things I've got goin here that I wouldn't at home. I actually think its cool not to have a car, we walk a lot, I'm sure I'll really love it in the summer. There are some pretty interesting characters (esp. old ladies) and stuff that happens on the bus, as well as trying to get home in a taxi, and I don't have to pay for gas or fix breaks or get speeding tickets. There are restaurants and convenience stores all over the place. I walk out the door and if I'm hungry there is a restaurant 15 seconds from me by foot. That was definitely not the case home. Korean Tv is funny and the commercials are hilarious. I'm learning to love crime scene shows just as the Koreans do. I will be a better runner by the time I get home, as I do not have to drive 40 minutes to a park to find a good hill workout. I can't go 300 meters without a tough hill here. I live within a couple miles of a beach. I live by mountains and waterfalls. I could go to a temple every weekend if I wanted. I will meet people from all over the world. I get to be around a bunch of crazy kids all day..and most of them are really cute. How stressful can that be? My floors are heated. I try new foods all the time. A giant beer is like $2 here. Soju aka weird vodka stuff is like $3.  We can say pretty much whatever we want in public places and no one understands us. This list also goes on. 

As you can see, there a pros and cons to living in Korea, just as there are pros and cons to almost everything in life or anywhere you choose to live. We are doing quite well so far and I'm sure we'll be totally adjusted in no time. We miss you though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment